This dish brings me very good memories, because I have deeply associated to infancy. Not that this recipe for fried eggplant with honey is a native from spain, but yes, it was where I discovered this dish.
In one of those outings, we went to eat at a tavern that we find on the way, in your menu, we were able to read, among many other tapas; “fried eggplant with honey.” By that time I flirted sporadically with the world of the kitchen, and I was very surprised that an ingredient such as honey could be combined with a vegetable. So, we ordered a serving of fried eggplant. I was so amazed with that mixture of salty and sweet, crunchy and tender, that from that day became so assiduous to that same tavern to return to enjoy this simple dish.
As you can see right away this dish does not involve any difficulty, basically consists of cutting an eggplant in the way that you like, batter the pieces in a little flour, and fry in plenty of oil. Maybe time to bring out the frying is the only thing that you have to pay a bit of attention. In this sense, I invite you to read our article “how to get a fried-perfect“, in which I give some recommendations that we are sure will be of great help to get some eggplant fries are perfect.
In the recipe that I propose I have used honey or molasses of cane, as this ingredient has a powerful flavor that combines the sweetness with a slight touch of bitterness. If you don’t have cane syrup, or if you like, you can replace it with honey, or any kind of syrup (maple, agave, rice, etc.).
Ingredients for 2 people:
- Eggplant – 1 unit
- Wheat flour – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
- Olive oil – for frying
- Cane syrup – 2 tablespoons
- Water – to cover the eggplant
Steps fried Aubergines with cane honey
- The first thing that we’re going to do is grab a big bowl and put the water and the salt. Stir so that the salt is diluted perfectly in the water.
- We cut the aubergines in slices, about a centimeter thick, and put them in the bowl. For that are covered with water, we can put you on a plate or other heavy object. Let the eggplant soak for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, we heat plenty of olive oil in a frying pan.
- While the oil is heating, remove the aubergine slices from the bowl and dry them with absorbent paper.
- Then, we cut the slices as if French fries were and put in a bowl or a container with a lid. We can make use of the same bowl in which we put to soak the slices, if we do, we should dry it very well before.
- We put in the bowl the flour. With the help of a bowl, cover the bowl and shake up vigorously its content to the eggplant to coat on all sides with the flour of wheat.
- When the oil is hot, add the pieces of eggplant in batches. It is important that we do so as well, frying the eggplant in several batches, because if we add too much at once, the oil temperature will drop sharply and the eggplant will absorb a large amount of it. Fry until the surface of the eggplant to acquire a nice golden tone.
- Once you are ready, remove them from the skillet and put on absorbent paper. We repeat the process with the remaining pieces of eggplant.
- We let it sit in the waxed paper for a minute, and, im median tely, serve accompanied with a little bit of cane molasses. If we want to increase still more the contrast between salty and sweet, you can sprinkle a little salt over the eggplant just before serving our dish.
Tips & tricks
I have used eggplants, whole with skin, but if you want to withdraw, you must do so before you cut it into slices.
In the recipes of kitchen king where they make chips, we tend to use olive oil, since this product presents notable advantages with respect to the use of other oils of vegetable origin. If you want to expand your information, I invite you to take a look at our article; “The dangers of reusing the oil & Tips for a correct use“